Our weekly, school day programs are our most powerful programs, thanks to our families’ commitment to long-term nature mentoring for their children. With age groups from 5-17, kids don’t just take one of our programs – they grow up in them. Led by our skilled mentors through challenges and reflection in nature, they develop a deep understanding of who they are, what they value, and what their gifts are. Our students come from homeschool, public school, and private school backgrounds, and our program is designed to complement your child’s educational experience no matter what the setting may be. Contact email@example.com if you need support as you navigate getting approval from your child’s school to participate in this program.
Coyote Village is a wilderness-based mentoring program that helps raise healthy and connected children in a community setting. We provide students with a dynamic environment to push their own edges, engage their natural curiosity, and cultivate an intrinsic love of learning that they carry with them for the rest of their lives.
Once a week, students spend a full day immersed in nature. Each day starts with nature games and a gratitude circle. Mornings focus on learning survival and naturalist skills, which deepen over the arc of the year as students observe, ask questions, and apply their skills to hands-on wilderness projects. Activities may include:
– Starting a fire without matches
– Identifying wild edibles and medicinal plants and using them to make salves or cook a feast
– Building shelters and forts and learning about the history of primitive shelters
– Sitting quietly in reflection and observing the environment; journaling
– Learning animals’ patterns by sneaking invisibly through the forest; learning bird language
– Making handmade tools and crafts from natural materials
After lunch, our afternoons are filled with storytelling, playing in the river, and games that apply the skills learned in the morning. Woven throughout are lessons in peacemaking and nonviolent communication, challenge activities, and teamwork. We close each day in circle sharing stories of the day and a group song that ties together elements of their day.
Over the course of our program, students develop qualities such as leadership, team building, emotional intelligence, resilience, confidence, expression, service, integrity and other foundational aspects of good character.
Join our village and step into wild adventures in nature!
Students have the choice of enrolling by season (fall – 10 weeks, winter – 8 weeks, spring – 10 weeks) or for the entire school year (35 weeks). All programs occur outside, except in hazardous conditions. Our typical student to mentor ratio is 6:1. Programs typically include an overnight in the fall and spring, though we will not be hosting overnights for the time being, due to COVID considerations and we may be more cautious about weather delays and cancelations to avoid being indoors and in enclosed spaces for extended periods.
If a program appears full, you are encouraged to join the waitlist as we often open additional classes when possible.
IMPORTANT DATES for 2021/22:
- Thanksgiving break Nov 24, 26: no class
- Winter break Dec 22-31: no class
- August 2: Fall scholarship requests due
- August 16: Fall scholarship awards offered; we require that you accept your award by setting up a payment within 24 hours of notification.
- August 24: Fall payments (or payment plan set up) due to hold your spots. (Any classes with open spots will continue registering, but staff is hired and groups are confirmed by this date.)
- Week of Sept. 13: Fall programs begin
- November 29: Winter scholarship requests due
- December 13: Winter scholarship awards offered; we require that you accept your award by setting up a payment within 24 hours of notification.
- Week of January 3: Winter programs begin.
- February 7: Spring scholarship requests due
- February 21: Spring scholarship awards offered; we require that you accept your award by setting up a payment within 24 hours of notification.
- Week of March 14: Spring programs begin.
- Fall/Spring Overnights: TBD
- Ancestor Feasts: TBD
|Wild Seeds - (School Year Sept '21 - June '22)||5-7||Granby||9-3||Wednesdays: Sept 15 - June 1 (No class Nov 24, 26 or Dec 22, 24, 29, 31)||$2250|
|Black Foxes - (School Year Sept '21 - June '22)||8-12||Granby||9-3||Wednesdays: Sept 15 - June 1 (No class Nov 24, 26 or Dec 22, 24, 29, 31)||$2250|
|Wild Seeds - (School Year Sept '21 - June '22)||5-7||Newtown||9-3||Fridays: Sept 17, 2021 - June 3, 2022 (No class Nov 24, 26 or Dec 22, 24, 29, 31)||$2250|
|Black Foxes - (School Year Sept '21 - June '22)||8-12||Newtown||9-3||Fridays: Sept 17 - June 3 (No class Nov 24, 26 or Dec 22, 24, 29, 31)||$2250|
|Black Foxes - Winter '22||8-12||Granby||10-3||Mondays Jan 3 - Feb 21||$550|
|Wild Seeds - Winter '22||5-7||Killingworth||10-3||Tuesdays Jan 4 - Feb 22||$550|
|Black Foxes - Winter '22||8-12||Killingworth||10-3||Tuesdays Jan 4 - Feb 22||$550|
|Fire Keepers - Winter '22||12-16||Killingworth||10-3||Tuesdays Jan 4 - Feb 22||$550|
|Wild Seeds - Winter '22 (Changed to Village Program aged 7-12. Register below!)||5-7||Newtown||10-3||Wednesdays Jan 5 - Feb 23||$550|
|Black Foxes/ Wildseed Village -Winter '22||7-12||Newtown||10-3||Wednesdays Jan 5 - Feb 23||$550|
|Wild Seeds - Winter '22||5-7||Newtown||10-3||Thursdays Jan 6 - Feb 24||$550|
|Black Foxes - Winter '22||8-12||Newtown||10-3||Thursdays Jan 6 - Feb 24||$550|
|Fire Keepers - Winter '22||13-17||Newtown||10-3||Thursdays Jan 6 - Feb 24||$550|
|Wild Seeds - Spring '22||5-7||Granby||9-3||Mondays March 14 - May 16||$700|
|Black Foxes - Spring '22||8-12||Granby||9-3||Mondays March 14 - May 16||$700|
|Fire Keepers - Spring '22||13-17||Granby||9-3||Mondays March 14 - May 16||$700|
|Wild Seeds - Spring '22||5-7||Killingworth||9-3||Tuesdays March 15 - May 17||$700|
|Black Foxes - Spring '22||8-12||Killingworth||9-3||Tuesdays March 15 - May 17||$700|
|Fire Keepers - Spring '22||12-16||Killingworth||9-3||Tuesdays March 15 - May 17||$700|
|Wild Seeds - Spring '22||5-7||Newtown||9-3||Wednesdays March 16 - May 18||$700|
|Black Foxes - Spring '22||8-12||Newtown||9-3||Wednesdays March 16 - May 18||$700|
|Wild Seeds - Spring '22||5-7||Newtown||9-3||Thursdays March 17 - May 19||$700|
|Black Foxes - Spring '22||8-12||Newtown||9-3||Thursdays March 17 - May 19||$700|
|Fire Keepers - Spring '22||13-17||Newtown||9-3||Thursdays March 17 - May 19||$700|